Ceramic African Violet Pot

My ceramic African Violet pot is finished and sporting a pretty African Violet. On March 9th, I showed an African Violet pot that I was making in my ceramics class. In the photo above you can see the finished project sporting my newest African Violet. Below is a photo of the same African Violet in its original green plastic pot. It’s the standard pot thatĀ  most African Violets are sold in.

This is an African Violet pot that I made last year. I painted it to look like a strawberry. I’ve started working on a third pot, in class and I’ll paint it next week, once I’veĀ  decided on the colors. My goal is to have a brightly colored pot for each one of my African Violets. It will keep me busy for quite awhile, but I love the look of the colorful flowers and cheery pots sitting on my kitchen windowsill.


Ceramic African Violet Pot

I started making ceramic African Violet Pots for all of my African Violets. This is a pot I poured in slip casting a couple of weeks ago. It has been fired in the kiln and is now ready for glazing and a second firing.
I painted the top of the upper portion a bright yellow.
I like blue and yellow together and thought it would be a cheerful combination. After the violet pot goes through the second firing the colors will be more vibrant. I’ll finish it with a shiny glaze and a beautiful plant. I’m really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Ceramics Red Project

gravy-boat-1Here is the ceramic gravy boat I made for the Red Project in my slip casting class.

I took this photo of the gravy boat in its green ware state, before the first firing. Below you see the process of painting the bisqued piece after the first firing.


The finished gravy boat from a slightly different angle.
finished-gravy-boat-2Turtle-with-a-bowMy ceramic turtle ready for Christmas. She was also part of the Red Project. Notice her lips and toe nails.I smile every time I see her, and hope she brings a smile to your face too. If you would like to learn more about ceramics and slip casting, please refer to my past post,Two Slip Casting Projects.